Returning to an old project
Sometimes projects have to be put on hiatus. Other things get in the way. Focus can shift over time. I end up returning to old stuff pretty often, so I’ve written down the set of questions I use to reapproach paused projects.
Why am I looking at this project again?
- Am I just reminiscing?
- Do I just want to look at it again for a while before I have to go work on other things?
- Do I want to remind myself of what I get to work on soon, to help me get through what I’m working on now?
- Do I want to recycle some of this project to use for something else?
- Do I intend to continue working on the project now?
What was my progress on this project?
- What was the project about?
- What was the goal of the project?
- How did I go about accomplishing the goal previously?
- How far did I get towards accomplishing that goal?
- Do I still want to accomplish the original goal, or is there a new goal I’d rather pursue?
How will I complete this project?
- How much time would I like to devote to this work?
- How much time can I actually devote to this work?
- How will I schedule my allocated time?
- Are there any external motivators that might help me finish the project?
- Do I need any help completing the project?